Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Overconfidence and the things it's taught me

So this morning I was scanning through emails in my inbox and came across this image that a friend had sent. I love it! Kind of made me reminisce over the stupid things I've done, or watched others do. How at the time, something can seem like such an incredible idea that you just can't believe you hadn't thought of it before. Followed shortly by proof of why you shouldn't have thought of it even now. Some examples? Here we go....

#1 The fire. Yes, fire. Diesel fuel is not a "safe" alternative to gasoline when trying to light a fire inside an outdoor wood furnace. One of the first lessons I learned as a single person.

#2 Vacuum Hose vs. Toilet Snake..... although the toilet snake is a good tool for retrieving Lego's from the toilet, it is not a good tool for retrieving Lego's from inside the central vacuum system hose. On a side note, using a knife to cut a small hole in that hose will not in any way help you "see" the issue...... Trust me. Once a vacuum hose gets a grip on a Lego sideways it's just over.

#3 Just because a 6-8" tree trunk looks smaller than most trees does not mean it will "give" if you hit it hard enough when trying to get your snowmobile between it and the neighboring tree. The tree will win every time.

#4 Do NOT put your finger near a turtle's mouth with the intention of proving to your kids that it's perfectly safe to touch the turtle. Turtles bite and then you have the issue of trying in vain to convince your kids that "it doesn't hurt" and "your not scared" as the turtle hangs on and pulls it's head (and your finger) inside it's shell. (things I learned from my dad)

#5 Tapping on a turtle shell as if you are a friendly visitor just checking to see if anyone is home will NOT make a turtle release your husband. (things I learned from mom)

#6 There is no such thing as "enough speed" to get your Chevy Cavalier through a newly poured concrete sidewalk even if the gas station you want to get to is on the other side of that sidewalk. (things I learned from my Grandma)

#7 It is not ok to assume a satellite toilet is empty before picking it up with a loader and carrying it down the street to a new location. (things I learned on jobsites)

I'm sure there are more. These 7 just sprang to mind on a moment's notice along with the following story which I'll leave you with as food for thought.......

My oldest son was 4 and my youngest was around 2. They had been read a book by their daycare provider about farms and baby animals. Apparently the book illustrated baby chickens come from eggs. One morning I got out of the shower to find the two of them in the kitchen. The oldest had already gone through one carton of eggs and was working on smashing each egg in the second carton. The youngest was skating and sliding through the egg mess all over the kitchen floor (and cupboards, chairs, you name it). In response to "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?????" I got this reply ....... "but momma, we're just lookin for the one with the chick in it"

"I don't buy that kind of eggs boys, but maybe your dad does" :)

3 comments:

  1. This is hilarious! I'm so glad to know there are others in the world who can laugh at themselves. Of course, the alternative is to cry, isn't it!

    Love your egg story:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No good crying over broken eggs. I would have so much trouble hiding my laughter to get cross...

    AV
    http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
    http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
    http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some good things to keep in mind. And to learn!

    Thanks for sharing!

    -Randa

    ReplyDelete