Sunday, March 1, 2009

Preoccupation and the power tool

You'd think that by now I'd learn. If my mind is going 100 different directions and can't focus... it's a good time to avoid power tools. However, they always say that trying to keep yourself busy is a good way to avoid focusing on something you don't want to over-focus on. So once again, I walked myself out to the shop and started building things. A very simple project really. I just wanted to make a wooden box that my kids could use Mod Podge to decorate with all their little "finds" this morning exploring in the woods. Simple square box out of simple 3/4" pine. Anyway...... over the past few years I've learned a few valuable lessons:

1) You cannot drill long-ways through a piece of Diamond Willow while using nothing but "hope" to ensure you don't drill out the side of the wood and into your hand. That smarts. When you think you've outsmarted this process and use your feet to hold the stick from spinning, there is also no guarantee you won't drill out and into your foot. Both things - same day.

2) If a framing nail gun feels too big and awkward while hanging from a dangerous height by nothing but sheer will and the little bit of pine pitch leaking from the 2x4's - it probably is. Don't pull the trigger back and pray that when you smack it against the wood it's going to magically actually shoot where you intended. Sorry for the dent in your car ma'am...... and by the way - don't stand under that truss because it's really not anchored as well as you might think.

3) Today's lesson (and this is a no-brainer). Keep your hand out of firing range of the 1 1/2" staples coming out of the staple gun at 120 psi. I actually managed to staple my pinky finger to the palm of my hand. Even more amazing, I managed to not scream when my husband pulled the staple out and freed my little pinky finger from it's entrapment. It's now turning a really pretty mix of black, blue and red. Nothing a little liquid Band-Aid and a Miller Light can't fix, but I've given up for the day.

3 comments:

  1. Thank god I wasn't drinking anything, or else I would have snorted it all over my comp. :)

    Good advice; also? Ow. I once stapled my index finger (in the fourth grade). My teacher had to use that remover thing to get it out. Not as bad as your case, but those things kinda stay with you. Hope your finger and palm get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunnyberra, I actually spit crackers all over my screen.

    I am going to say it is time to quit for the day. I hate days like that, not that I have ever stapled my pinky to anything, but the days that everything sucks. Maybe you can find something else for the day to focus on. Sorry about the finger. Hope tomorrow is a better day!

    ReplyDelete